Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Cycle One: The Culture of Childhood

Before reading the articles I took some time to reflect upon my childhood.  I grew up on the east side of Traverse City, MI in a small neighborhood with many other children. The neighborhood had a shared beach access to East Bay and was surrounded by woods and orchards.  My summers were spent biking around the neighborhood and woods, playing at the beach, staying up late into the night playing flashlight tag with all of the neighbor kids, making tube runs in the snow at the sledding hill, and playing football at the neighbor’s vacant lot. Other than the days spent at the beach I don’t remember having parents in sight while playing around the neighborhood with my friends.  I have often thought about my upbringing compared to how I see children raised today, and it seems that children now spend a great deal of time in front of a screen or if they are playing with friends it is on a pre-arranged “play-date.”  In the Rosin article, I was able to view child-play from a parent viewpoint (although I do not have children of my own, yet).  Rosin discusses how the current generation of parents feels the world is more dangerous and raise their children according to this fear.  Rosin asks an important question about the change in the upbringing of children that has been instilled by fear when he stated, “Maybe a real question is, how did these fears come to have such a hold over us? And what have our children lost- and gained- as we’ve succumbed to them?” (Rosin 78).  As much as I loved my childhood and the freedom to play that I was given, I, too, feel I have been instilled with fear and worry about the dangers that kids can face when unsupervised, whether it be strangers or injury, and I know I will be anxious about both when I have children of my own.  But, after reading this article, I am really left thinking about the importance of unsupervised play among children.  Rosin also states that “adults have come to the mistaken view that children must somehow be sheltered from all risks of injury.  In the real world life is full of risks and reasonable risks are essential for children’s healthy development (Rosin 80).  We do not live in a bubble, so I believe children should be exposed to the consequences of risks they take, such as when the boy put a cardboard box in the fire and smoke instantly fills the air and burned the children’s eyes.  This was considered a “natural consequence” and was a true learning experience for these children.  Someone could verbalize over and over that smoke will fill the air when the cardboard is placed in the fire, but the children needed to see for themselves and in turn learned a lesson about fire and smoke.

            The Tobin article allowed me to look at play and social interactions from an educator’s standpoint. First, I was very surprised by how much of a preschoolers day is comprised of playtime in the Japanese schools.  In the United States, preschool is viewed as an early intervention for children’s academic success.  The Perry Preschool Project, which took place in the US, is one study that shows the benefits of early intervention, especially for at-risk children. This study looked at the long-term effects of children in a high-quality preschool program versus children who did not attend preschool.  Unlike the United States “the main reason children in contemporary Japan need preschool is to have opportunities to experience a level of social complexity lacking at home.  Adult intervention interferes with this complexity” (Tobin 109).  The Japanese preschools were very focused on play and allowing children authentic socialization experiences.  Many teachers did not intervene when children argued or even fought and allowed them to problem solve on their own. “The reasoning behind the noninterventionist strategy is to give children ample opportunities to deal with social complex situations including arguments and fights” (Tobin 133).  I feel the Japanese preschools have some very great points about their ideals on developing children socially.  I feel adults too often intervene and don’t allow children to think for themselves and problem solve on their own.  The real-world is full of problems and as adults we need to know how to solve those problems, for the most part, on our own.
        After reading the articles I am left thinking about best practices for child development.  I feel that the Japanese preschool program does a nice job of incorporating play and allowing children authentic interactions among their peers to aide in social development.  When I think about United States preschool programs I think a lot of emphasis has been placed on the academics, and we sometimes forget that these are three year old children and need unstructured play time to develop a sense of self. 



References

Hanna Rosin (2014, April). Hey! Parents, Leave Those Kids Alone. The Atlantic, 313(3), 75-86.

Joseph Tobin, Yeh Hsueh, & Mayumi Karasawa. (2009). Preschool in Three Cultures Revisited: China, Japan, and the United States (Ch. 3). Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    Great post! Thanks so much for your thoughts!!

    I think I already told you I think TC is a paradise, so your description of bikes, beaches, orchards and woods sounds amazing to me. What an amazing childhood. Yet it's totally true that as a parent of young kids, I share many of the same fears of the parents in the Rosin article.

    I think it's so cool to get your take on these articles, given that you work with young kids. Most of us have heard about the Perry Preschool Studies. And most of us so appreciate that work because it's still some of the best evidence we have that schools actually help kids (especially ECE)!!

    Yet I think we can say a couple of things about that. First, we also know that a lot of the early writing about ECE--in fact, the whole Head Start movement--was built on the assumption that there was a culture of poverty that school could correct. I think the idea that kids from poor neighborhoods and poor families needed extra academics at the start of life was fair enough. But we probably ignored a lot of what these kids learned at home and in the neighborhood. Instead of helping parents, I think a lot of ECE tried to replace them. What a mistake!

    I guess my point is that the Tobin article helps us see that social complexity is a part of every good education and that I worry that an overly strict focus on academics is just another way we help kids avoid the real lessons of life--sharing, arguing, compromising, listening.

    I'm a pretty big believer in the "all I really need to know I learned in kindergarten" camp. I believe elementary teachers in this country have done an amazing job of being advocates for kids and kids' culture. They work with who kids are, let kids be kids, and help them learn the stuff that will make them better friends and happier adults. While the increasing focus on academics has its place, I hope we never lose sight of the fact that elementary schools need to provide socialization as well as academics. That you are more likely to lose a job for being late or being a jerk than you are for not knowing how to add or read (?).

    Anyway, a bunch of great points for us to keep thinking about. Thanks, Lisa!

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    I enjoyed reading about your experiences as a child in Traverse City. It is such a beautiful place and it would've been a shame if you weren't able to have had the opportunities to explore the surroundings! As I was reading the Rosin article, I as well thought back to my childhood. I remember being able to ride my bike to and from school, playing with the neighborhood kids in our backyards and the forest behind our houses, being able to walk to a candy store with my cousins, all with no parental supervision. I was able to learn things from these experiences without requiring an adult to tell me what to do or handle a situation. It taught me how to interact with other people my age and even those that were older (as in the case of going to a store). I was able to create my independence. In the Rosin article, it mentions how with parents constantly being with their children or supervising them, these kids aren't able to think on their own. When they are separated from their parents for the first time, they are expected to be able to know what to do and how to handle things, without having any experience previously to do so. I think that parents, even though I am not one, should give their children more space to learn and explore how to function on their own.

    The fact that you brought up how parents have a fear of danger or injury and that is why they shelter their children. It made me think that even I have this fear for my students as their teacher. As I've gotten older, I've been able to not "hover" as much and let situations happen if there is no real danger. When I first started teaching, I felt uncomfortable letting a couple students go in the hallway to work on something because they weren't being supervised. I was concerned that something might happen. But that is how we are expected to act based on society. I'm sure many parents have these same thoughts because of what society has taught us. It's as if they are being told that they are bad parents, or teachers in our case, if we are not constantly with them or monitoring them. In reality we are allowing our students and children to be dependent on someone else constantly, without letting them make decisions on their own whether they be good or bad. As you said, we don't live in a bubble, things are going to happen and we need to allow these kids to be able to learn how to handle things on their own.

    I also was surprised at how much time the Japanese children were given for play. I remember thinking "when is there going to be time for learning?". I don't think you would see that happening in any of the U.S. programs. I think what we are forgetting in the U.S. is that kids are kids and even if we try to make them learn more or take away more free time, they still have the same attention spans and interests. I don't think we are benefiting them any by not allowing them to act their age. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be teaching students things in pre-k or kindergarten, but there needs to be time for them to play and interact.

    Thank you for your thoughts!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete